<  |  Home  |  >

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Listen to this post as an mp3 file (for posts after 3/6/06)
No Olympic Knitting Here...

Olympics? What Olympics?

Here's what I've been working on lately. The argyle socks that I promised my Dad exactly one year ago. [How's that for turnaround time?] This is the 2nd sock. All I have left to do is adjust the toe a little. Then I will be DONE. Just in time for my dad's birthday.

These will be my dad's first pair of handknit socks. I hope he enjoys them. I'm just glad they are done. They've been causing me guilt for too long.

After seeing the pictures of Eunny's mini-argyles, I am really tempted to try something like that. I will try to restrain myself and remember that I have two other pairs of socks waiting in the wings to be finished (but what fun is that?).

In other news, Sister #2 will be quite happy to see this picture. That could only mean that -- I've finally started her hat. Yay! [She's been soooo patient.]

It's going to be the Herringbone Cloche from Vogue Hats & Caps Two. I'm using Rowan Felted Tweed. I really like the color of this yarn with all the cute little fleckies in it. However, I'm not sure about this hat pattern...

The pattern has you make 3 triangular shapes for the crown, then sew them together and pick up stitches all around for a brim. That's fine, except the dimensions of the hat given seem kind of small (20" around and 6" deep (w/o brim).

My gauge is off, which I discovered by knitting the first triangle above. I did some calculating to figure out what size these triangles are supposed to be (based on the given gauge). Then I calculated how many sts & rows I'd have to do to get the right size triangle. That's where I'm at right now. After I finish one of these correct-sized triangles, I will have to determine if three of these things will really make a properly fitting hat. I am having major doubts.

That said, I am loving this herringbone stitch pattern. It's got great texture, and it's not stiff at all. Very slow going though. And if you make a mistake -- look out. Big pain to rip back here.

Leave a Comment 6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am in serious lust with those socks. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

hmmm, i am so excited you have started my hat!!! but now i am also so concerned that you are having so many concerns! do you need me to measure my head?

dad's socks look great. he will love them. if this hat thing doesn't work out, can i get another pair of socks? i just absolutely adore the first (but not last) pair you made for me.

Amanda said...

Must. Have. argyle socks! And a fancy scmancy herringbone cloche-I just love that Rowan Felted Tweed! lucky lucky sister #2! Thanks for the inspiration!

MelissaKnits said...

I love the herringbone. and the socks are wonderful.
The Olympics officially suck. Between the baby coming early and this exciting new flu thing? Forget it. I'll be pleased if I can crawl back to my bed.

Anonymous said...

Those socks are fabulous! I love them. I like the Herringbone stitch pattern also - it looks great in the photos; I hope the hat works out!

Tipper said...

Those socks are very cute, in a manly way.