<  |  Home  |  >

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Listen to this post as an mp3 file (for posts after 3/6/06)
Free Arrowhead Lace Headband Pattern

As I mentioned in my last post, making the Saving Grace headband has inspired me to look through my pattern books for other potential lace patterns that would work well with a worsted weight yarn for a quick headband. This turned out to be a bit more difficult than I anticipated. The use of worsted weight yarn meant that I needed to keep the pattern under 14 stitches so the headband did not become uncomfortably wide. I swatched a few options, but the headband below is the most successful one so far.

This headband is based on the Arrowhead Lace pattern stitch in Barbara Walker's A Treasury of Knitting Patterns. It has a tendency to poof up in the middle (I didn't bother to block it), but it seems to flatten out when worn. Here's the pattern.

Arrowhead Lace Headband

click for bigger picture

YARN

Cascade 220 [100% wool],
color: 9455 (turquoise heather)

NEEDLES

US 7

GAUGE

approximately 5sts/inch

DIRECTIONS

Cast on 11 sts.

Follow the arrowhead lace pattern (using chart or directions below) until the headband is approximately 16 inches long (or long enough to fit around your head when slightly stretched). Bind off and seam ends together.

Arrowhead Lace Chart

Arrowhead Lace Directions

Row 1 (WS):k1, p9, k1.

Row 2 (RS):k1, yo, ssk, yo, ssk, k1, k2tog, yo, k2tog, yo, k1.

Row 3:same as row 1.

Row 4:k2, yo, ssk, yo, slip 2 together as to knit--k1--pass the 2 slipped sts over, yo, k2tog, yo, k2.



click for bigger picture



Pattern & images © 2006 Tamara Stone-Snyder.
May be distributed freely for personal use only. Cannot be reprinted on the web or otherwise without permission.

Leave a Comment 24 comments:

MelissaKnits said...

Makes me wish I had hair...wonder if Girl could wear it though, she still has some hair!

Laura said...

So cute! And I really like that lace pattern.

Anonymous said...

That lace pattern works beautifully--I think I like it even better than the first one.

Anonymous said...

that color is SO pretty with her red hair!

Anonymous said...

I love that pattern! Thank you :o)

Amanda said...

Your girls have such beautiful red hair! I think I will have to add this to my growing collection of knit headbands! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

PK, wouldn't this headband be nice in some non wool material....maybe bamboo or silk?

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU SO MUCH for that pattern. I'm making headbands this xmas for the girls, and swatched about 15 lace stitches and agree - this one is the winner. don't know why i didn't just believe you in the first place, next time i'll just blindly follow. Thanks, really.

dancinkatie said...

Thanks for the pattern - I'm a beginner knitter who hasn't knitted lace before, and I'm finding it quite easy to follow. I'll probably be running up quite a few of these for gifts this year!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you gave permission or if it's actually you selling them, but someone is selling Arrowhead Lace Headbands from your pattern on Etsy.

Just thought I'd let you know because it would be uncool of someone to profit from your design without your permission.

Anonymous said...

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=6166189

CraftyGryphon said...

Just found your pattern on Ravelry. Even though I don't have much hair in the summer, I'm going to make some of these just for a dash of color. (And because it's the *perfect* excuse to buy that ball of turquoise bamboo that's been taunting me at my LNS!)

CraftyGryphon said...

Whee! I just finished mine this morning (which was good, since I needed it done for a scavenger hunt, but that's another story)! Pic here

Unknown said...

Im Exitted gunna cast on tonight. I've got long hair and hate it in my eyes. So I cant wait to get this going. Thanks in advance!

Joey said...

that knit headband looks beautiful.

Anonymous said...

This is probably a ridiculous question, but I'm making some mistake and I'm not sure what.
The first row goes fine, but on the second row I can't finish the row because I run out of stitches...

For example...
Row 2 (RS):k1 (st 1), yo (st 2), ssk (st 3+4), yo (st 5), ssk (st 6+7), k1 (st8), k2tog (st 9+10), yo (st 11), k2tog, yo, k1 (don't have any stitches left for these?)

If someone could help that would be great.

Tia said...

"yo" just means you take the thread towards you, you do not knit it. I made the same mistake so I do not find it stupid ;)
- Sorry I'm french, not sure my explanation is really clear-

Persnickety Knitter said...

Anonymous,
Tia is correct. To make the yarn over (yo) you just wrap the yarn around the needle -- it doesn't include the knitting of the next stitch.
Row 2 (RS): k1 (st 1), yo (new st), ssk (st 2+3), yo (new st), ssk (st 4+5), k1 (st 6), etc.

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, thanks so much!
I was just doing a pattern that did yo, knit, so that really must have messed me up!

Lovely hairband, I'm sure my friend will love it for Christmas :)

Anonymous said...

I am doing something wrong when I do the yarn over, the slip 2 tog as if to knit and then knit one and
pass the two slipped stitches over...somehow the slipped stitches are laying on top of the
knit row that is suppose to run down the center of the head band?
Can anyone tell me what I am doing
wrong?

Anonymous said...

You need to make sure that the "slip 2 together as to knit" is done at the same time. Do not slip them one at a time. That was the same thing I was doing. Now it works! Hope this helps. :)

Eustacia Tan said...

Thanks for the pattern! It knit up beautifully! (I have the results here: http://thisismygirlyside.blogspot.jp/2014/03/patchwork-lace-headband.html)

^_^

Anonymous said...

Ssk is one stitch not 2 slip slip knit both from back loops it's a decrease hope this helps

Anonymous said...

I only have 10 stitches after the fourth row :/ help!