<  |  Home  |  >

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Listen to this post as an mp3 file (for posts after 3/6/06)
Yeah, I Bought More Yarn. . . Sigh

Look at what my Yarn Enabler, aka Melissa, has procured for me -- Noro Silk Garden in color 217. I just love these colors. And it is softer than I expected, too. But not cheap. No sirree, Bob.

This yarn is going to be used to make the Lady Eleanor Stole from Scarf Style. I've had my eye on this pattern for a while, especially after seeing this one at Fig and Plum. However, it was the gorgeous colors of Aimee's that made me take the plunge. I just can't stop looking at it -- I'm in looooove. So, I'm being a copycat and making it in exactly the same color. [Oh shush, I'll get back to Rogue eventually. Gotta go with the inspiration, right?]

I've also decided to start knitting items for the Dulaan Project. It's an organization that collects items to send to impoverished children & adults in Mongolia, where the temperatures get down to -40ºF at night.

Here's a picture of my first hat to donate to this project. It's just a simple ribbed hat made with two strands of stash yarn.

I started this in desperation the other day when the rest of my family was sitting down to watch Zathura (really enjoyed this movie, by the way). I was in a panic -- frantically searching through my knitting bags (and the various piles of knitting that are distributed throughout my family room) for something easy to work on so I could concentrate on the movie. It was kind of funny actually, I was all like, "Wait, wait. Don't start the movie yet -- I can't find any knitting!"

I am such an addict. I can't just sit when I watch movies any more; I must be knitting. Otherwise I get so restless. My hands need to be busy so my mind can concentrate. This becomes an issue when I visit people who like to turn off all the lights when they watch movies (Hi, Sister#2).

Anyhow, easy hats and scarves make for good "movie knitting", so I'm going to try to keep some of these Dulaan patterns ready to go for movie nights here. I might try this Double-Thick, Super-Warm Dulaan Hat pattern next. It appears to be just a big tube which you fold in half and gather together -- an easy way to get extra warmth without the complexity of double knitting.

Leave a Comment 6 comments:

MelissaKnits said...

That Melissa must be some evil woman... ;)
This house has to stop and wait also, whether it's a movie, or a road trip, or a family party; everything has to wait while I find the correct project for the intended event/occasion. For the trip to Lumber Liquidators I chose a modular bag. Yesterday for the eye doctor visit it was a pair of socks. Today is sleeves for the lilac cardigan and something long from my new box of A&E Romance Classics. It's not an addiction. It is INDUSTRY!

Anonymous said...

OOooohhh! That Noro is gorgeous. It makes me very sad that I've just committed to 10 balls of fairly unexciting off-white for Starsky. But don't mind me - you go right ahead.

Anonymous said...

who wouldn't love that noro! i commend you for considering entrelac; i've ner had the urge . . . i know i should do it once just to try it, and that shawl might just be the push i need. it looks good on everyone. maybe if i use some handspun . . . hahahaha!
i also love the blogs you linked to and will continue looking in on them in the future. thanks!

Anonymous said...

That Noro is beeyewteeful - can't wait to see your shawl!

Elspeth said...

I love the hat! I just came from the movies yesterday, where I couldn't work on my Olympics project, but I do have to have a stockinette project ready for movies, and even while reading! Great Noro, too ....

Katia said...

Can't wait to see how your lady eleanor comes out!
I find it hard to sit still during movies too - but sometimes I'm so tired that I find it hard to concentrate on my knitting AND the movie, and I end up having to frog everything that I do ;)