<  |  Home  |  >

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Listen to this post as an mp3 file (for posts after 3/6/06)
My own private block party

I finished the Lopi Lace Scarf this morning, and then I went crazy blocking all the knitted Christmas gifts that have been sitting around - 2 hats, 1 bag, 2 scarves. Should have some good pics tomorrow. I ran out of blocking pins so I couldn't block the Backyard Leaves scarf. I've been putting that one off because after I block it I will have to seam it together, and it looks like that will be very UN-fun due to the lumpy edge.

I looked for blocking pins at the LYS yesterday, but they only had some ridiculously expensive ones (10 pins for like $8.50 -- geez, those must be nice pins). Anyway, I asked if they had any others and the two older women behind the counter looked at me like I was insane. They said they had "never HEARD of using pins to block your knitting." What??!!?? Then they were all in my face asking me what I was making, etc. I told them I was going to use the pins to block lace -- to open it out more. They just did NOT get that. They insisted that was unnecessary, that it would probably HARM my knitting (how???), blah, blah, blah. Why do I bother talking to these people -- it's just not worth it.

Anyway, I bought a bunch of Cascade 220 to continue my Christmas knitting extravaganza. Enough to make another alien scarf (1st one is currently blocking), another knitted bag (1st one also blocking), and then some to enhance the stash (you know, cuz it was getting low... ;)

This is kind of cute: Make an avatar of yourself!

Oh, and I fixed the problem with the comments. So, feel free to comment away.

Leave a Comment 4 comments:

MelissaKnits said...

Silly Knitting Old Ladies.
Silly silly.

Cheap(er) stainless T-pins can be had in larger quantity at places like JoAnn, etc. I think even Walmart has them in their craft section.

I want to see blocked things!! I think today I am going to drag out Scunci and block a couple of things. It's an Aidan day, not much knitting will occur.

MelissaKnits said...

Nope, see, I am still sitting here, shaking my head in disbelief. "GASSP!!! PINS!?!?!?!""""

Tell them to read a few of the finishing and technique books they probably have on their shelves. My grandmother taught me to block with pins. Maybe they were...confused? Maybe they were...in the wrong store????

Laura said...

Never heard of using pins to block lace? Wow. That's amazing. I went to one of my LYS's a week or so ago and was asked if I was looking for anything particular. Yes, I said, sock yarn. Well, they didn't have ANY lighter-than-worsted weight yarn at all -- instead I was directed to Noro Kureyon. Oooo-kay.

Siddarths said...

Nicce blog post